Spelt Pasta

All day yesterday I was looking forward to making one of our favourite summer dinners, fresh pasta with grated Zucchini. When I went to make it I discovered that I didn't have any of the flour I usually use. I was disappointed for a minute then remembered the packets of Spelt  flour that Zoe had bought for me. I'm sure I have seen spelt pasta so I decided to give it a go. I am really glad I did as it was a revelation. the best pasta I have made. We have been making our own pasta for about two years now, starting off hand rolling and progressing to using a small pasta machine. It is easy to do, satisfying and uses up eggs.

Spelt Pasta
1 1/4 cups spelt flour
2 small eggs (I usually use three eggs to this quantity of flour so the spelt is moister perhaps)
process is food processor until it just comes together, form into a disc and wrap in gladwrap. Rest on the bench for about an hour. Ours rested for two as I got sidetracked putting the poultry away. I think the long resting time helped as the pasta did not look all that inspiring at this stage.
I then cut it into three pieces and fed it through the largest setting on the machine, folded it in three and did this again twice. I saw them do this on masterchef and it really makes a difference.
Then put through on middle setting and finally on the second lowest setting. this was the result. Lovely, silky pasta, but firm, did not tear at all.
then cut it into ribbons with the machine.
Cook in a large quantity of boiling salted water for about three minutes.
drain.
Put some olive oil in the pot, add grated zucchini and garlic, then add pasta back in. add basil, serve with grated Parmesan.  

                                                              Final rolling befor cutting 
                                                 finished product
                                                           Raw ingredients

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe